Options for Women (OFW) is the only clinic offering 100% free ultrasounds (no insurance needed) in Contra Costa County. OFW provides free ultrasounds because this technology helps support decision-making and health when in the early stages of pregnancy.
In the early stages of pregnancy it is important to confirm a viable-intrauterine pregnancy before making any decisions. Miscarriages are estimated to occur 10-25% of the time and ectopic pregnancies are estimated to occur approximately 1 out of 60 pregnancies.1
OFW offers free ultrasounds * in order to:
- Confirm pregnancy
- Detect fetal heart beat
- Determine fetal age
- Determine due date
- Determine location of pregnancy (intrauterine/ectopic)
*Certain health code laws apply in qualification for ultrasounds
**The ultrasound examination will not diagnose gender, abnormalities, and/or problems. A nurse will provide you next steps if there is a determination that further health care assistance is needed.
Before your ultrasound:
- You will receive a free medical grade pregnancy test.
- You will meet with a Client Advocate who will provide resources and support.
During your ultrasound:
- You will be free to speak with the nurse and ask any questions.
- You will see your ultrasound on a screen.
- You are allowed to bring a significant other or family member.
After your ultrasound:
- A nurse will advise you on next steps.
- Your Client Advocate will be sure to follow up with you and determine how OFW can support you on your journey.
- You will receive a free picture and information on your ultrasound results.
Considering an Abortion?
Ultrasounds are required before every abortion procedure. The type of abortion procedure is determined by the ultrasound results. Options for Women can help you understand at what stage your pregnancy is in and what to expect if you were to chose to have an abortion procedure.